Saturday, June 27, 2009

To N.Y. Times: The death of Michael Jackson.

I'm certain that everyone who reads my letter to the N. Y. Times already knows about Michael Jackson's death. I don't mention it in the letter to the Times, but I believe I know why he died. I've written a book, soon to be available, entitled "All Medicines Are Poison." Although the book discusses many aspects of the American health care system, the main theme is that doctors must proceed with every prescription they write after evaluating the risks. Benefits must outweigh risks.
I knew some members of the Jackson family and share their grief. A 50 year old man is a little more than middle aged. He should experience a full life. Michael had much to offer--it will never be seen.

The death of Michael Jackson had special meaning to me, not only because the world prematurely lost a great talent, but also because I knew members of his family. As a physician, I attended his grandmother until she expired. I also took care of several members of the family including his mother. She is a lovely woman and I sense her grief because of Michael’s death. I never attended Michael, but I met him once when I had hospitalized his grandmother. We had him wear a scrub suit, mask and surgical hat so that he could visit his grandmother without being recognized by his many admirers.
At this point the doctors at UCLA are unsure of what caused Michael’s death; apparently the autopsy was unrevealing. Perhaps the toxicology studies will give us an answer; he had been taking medicines and all medicines are poison. A doctor must weigh the benefits to be achieved, versus the potential risks before prescribing anything. I was fortunate to watch a TV interview of Dr. Deepak Chopra, who knew Michael well. He and I disagree on some aspects of practicing medicine, but I respect his viewpoints and I believe that he and I would agree on the cause of Michael’s death. I’m sure that he would also agree that a doctor should not only take care of patients, but also care about them.

Dr. Kirschner is a retired family physician. He continues to volunteer in community-based health related programs and is active on several biomedical ethics committees.

Melvin H Kirschner, MPH, MD

No comments:

Post a Comment