Monday, September 19, 2011

All medicines ARE poison!

From the time we were small children, my sisters and I knew that medicines were poison. My mother would not let us open the medicine chest in the bathroom. If we scratched our skin she would immediately apply iodine or Mercurochrome to the wound to prevent us from getting "lock jaw", the layperson's name for tetanus. Iodine was so poisonous that it even had skull and crossbones embossed on the front of its square bottle. And it burned ferociously when applied to the wound. We preferred Mercurochrome. It didn't burn when applied and it had a pretty red color. We weren't aware that it was just as poisonous as Iodine. My mother put the Iodine bottle on top of the refrigerator to insure that we couldn't reach it.
Years later, when I became a medical doctor, I prescribed medicines even though I knew that all medicines are poison. But I only prescribed medicine when I believed that the risks of the illness were worse than the potential side-effects and risks of the medication.
I supported this principle during many of my lectures, letters to the editors, radio and TV appearances and articles. This eventually lead to the publication of my book "All Medicines Are Poison!" which actually is a discussion of the sorry state of the health care arena in the U. S.

No comments:

Post a Comment